Goguryeo Cataphract, Korean Heavy Cavalry, 개마무사


The Gaema Musa 개마무사, or "Warrior of the Kaema Plateau" were the elite warriors of the ancient Korean kingdom of Goguryeo. They were some of the heaviest cataphracts to be fielded by a Far Eastern polity, with both the rider and the horse completely encased in heavy armor. Goguryeo was the most militarily dominant of the Korean kingdoms and its cavalry were the vanguard of many conquests.

Aside from their deadly prowess, the Goguryeo cavalry were also distinguished by the elaborate plumes attached to their horse's flank armor: a tradition that bore much similarity to the 寄生 "Jisheng" (Lit. "Parasite") used by the cavalry of the northern Chinese dynasties and the Xianbei nomadic peoples. The plumes of the Gaema Musa varied greatly from each horse, ranging from billowing folds of silk banners to a collection of multicolored snapping pennons.





THANK YOU TO MY NEW PATRON, MR. PETER HELLMAN


So hi all 😄! I want you to know that your support has really meant a lot to me. Last year I was able to write 38 articles with your support, and this year I have wrote over 60 articles before the final quarters of 2018. I really plan to spend more time doing this, and find more opportunities to sit down and get the things I have been reading to you guys on a more consistent basis 🧐. Same goes for doing more Youtube videos, artworks and doing more commissioned concept art for you if you care to book it. 

→ ☯ [PLEASE SUPPORT ME @ PATREON] ☯ ←

😏 It would be a huge solid for me on a personal level as well since I am between jobs and have to balance churning out articles, buying new books for research, family, and doing new artworks. If you like my works and like to see more of it. Please think of supporting me on Patreon or book an artwork from me- as this great gesture would mean the world to me, because you are already the world to me at this moment. Thank you 🤗.


Thank you to my Patrons who has contributed $10 and above: 
You made this happen!

➢ ☯ Vincent Ho (FerrumFlos1st)
➢ ☯ BurenErdene Altankhuyag
➢ ☯ Stephen D Rynerson
➢ ☯ Steven Chan
➢ ☯ Michael Lam
➢ ☯ Peter Hellman

They were some of the heaviest cataphracts to be fielded by a Far Eastern polity, with both the rider and the horse completely encased in heavy armor. 

Comments

Der said…
Most impressive! This was the age of heavy cavalry, from Europe all the way to Korea. No wonder the Sui had such a hard time conquering Korea with such impressive units. I wonder how the Tang overcame them, they must have sustained massive casualties.
Unknown said…
I always appreciate how you always try to reflect source material as much as you can! Hope you don't get harassed by Chinese Nationalists my dude
TOPAZ said…
Emmmmm...May be someone may not happy. But I still had to say the Sui organize even 96000 such heavy cavalry to attack Goguryeo according to record.(But they collapsed and failed , I do not know what happen to such strong force) The Tang emperor Li Shi Min's cavalry even broke the formation of Goguryeo army in battles. The most tough and impressive of the Goguryeo not their heavy cavalry , but their strong foretress. They built on complex landscape and made much more trouble to Tang'army.
Dragon's Armory said…
Hi there, I am not too sure what you are stating in the first part of your comment, can you clarify? 😅

As for your second point. Yes, I totally agree, Goguryeo's truth strength lies in its leadership as well as how they maximized their defenses to check possible Tang aggression. Their fortresses and defensive lines were made well use of. Although their economic strength was greatly sapped.

Popular Posts